Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Make Your Own Myth


As the end of the year was quickly approaching, I searched far and wide to find resources for a cumulative project that would require students to integrate the application of reading strategies, vocabulary development, and analysis of literary elements that we have been practicing since the beginning of the year. The project also had to fulfill another requirement, since we were entering the last two weeks of school: It had to allow students to be creative.

In my previous post, I described how Toontastic can be used to illustrate a short tale. After completing that project, I found another program that I probably will use in place of Toontastic because of its  infinite array of options.

The Myths and Legends site is one of those resources that I can scarcely believe I didn't know about before. It's so extensive that each time I use the site, I find something new. Teachers will find the site is adaptable for a range of lessons, but it works well for this project.

I began with a mini-lesson on motifs commonly found in fairy tales and medieval literature. Understanding these motifs, students can make predictions and identify themes. I read "The Marriage of Sir Gawain" aloud while students read the text on the iPad. (I posted a list of links for my students on Trackstar4teachers.org)

In assigned groups, students chose another tale from the list and read it aloud together, again using the iPads so they could define unknown words easily. Then they returned to the motifs chart and described the motifs that appeared in their story.

The final step required more re-reading than even I expected, and that's what I believe makes this a worthwhile project. Illustrating a tale using the site appears to be a simple task. Instead, I saw my students referring to the text and asking questions about the characters and events, and this was after they were quite sure they understood the story. This is when it became apparent to me and my students that their comprehension wasn't as lucid as we thought.

As with any new project, I realized I would need to make adjustments for next year but the advantages outweigh the few disadvantages.
Pros:
  • Using the iPads was an advantage for building vocabulary. Watching the students look up the words reminded me once again that I can never make assumptions about what words they know--they needed definitions for words that teachers would assume their students acquired in earlier years.
  • Students need to practice re-reading text to clarify meaning. This project requires them to return to the text multiple times and ask questions in order to complete the illustration correctly.
  • The students' work allows me to instantly check their comprehension: When several students placed a character indoors instead of in the garden, I immediately knew they had misread the description of the setting, and I was able to direct them back to the paragraph where they would find these details.
  • Each scene allows students to type a description of the events and add dialogue, and of course this is a perfect learning opportunity for improving style and mechanics.

Cons:
  • I need to find better ways to utilize the iPad for vocabulary; we didn't use this feature to its full potential, and this is an area I need to improve for next year.
  • If the options in Toontastic can distract students, the Myths and Legends program is absolutely mesmerizing. It's too easy for students to become absorbed with the sheer number of scenes, characters, objects, animations, and sounds that the site allows them to choose. My biggest mistake was not requiring students to have a clear outline of the events and captions before beginning their illustration. Even focused students found it difficult to illustrate the tale from beginning to end because they spent an inordinate amount of time looking through the pictures and improving each scene, and as a result, not everyone was able to present a completed product.

Please leave your comments about similar programs, or if you've used the site, how it has worked in your classroom.

No comments: