Search This Blog

Monday, November 25, 2013

Subtext iPad App: Share, Annotate, and Discuss Texts with Students Instantly

Before writing a review of an app, I usually withhold my verdict until my students have used it. This time, I cannot wait to write a pre-emptive review of Subtext, another free app that will enhance students' interaction with texts through annotations and class discussions. Learning how this app work takes some time, at least it took me a while to navigate through the features, but once I discovered how to choose a text, create groups, and share the texts and assignments with students, I was inspired to think about its application in my class.

The first step to creating an assignment in Subtext is to choose the text. Using "Tap to add books & articles," I found an article through our school's links to reliable sources and then added the page to the app library. Then I created a group (I could have done this first) for one of my classes. I shared the article with this group and then shared with them an assignment that instructs them to highlight and discuss details that support the main idea.
At first glance, this app seems to be a great enhancement to text annotations and group discussions. I will post my reviews after using this with my students.

Note: The features for annotation are similar to Nook and Kindle apps.
Have you used this app with your students? Leave a comment with examples or suggestions!

No comments: